Filtering Out the Problem, and Figuring Out the Solution
We have finally found a way to bring our solution to life! After days of research and many different ideas, we figured out exactly how we would create an activated carbon water filter, to remove even the smallest amount of benzene. Through research Phoebe found out that there is a maximum level of benzene allowed in public water facilities, which is five ppb (parts per billion of benzene). Our goal is to limit our community’s exposure to benzene, which lowers the possibility of later developing leukemia. Our current plan is to buy benzene detectors to measure the current amount of benzene in the school’s water. Next we will put the water through our water filter and measure the before and after amount of benzene in the water. If it does work and lower the ppm (parts per million of benzene), we hope later try different models based off the same “blueprint”, so it will be able to accommodate different water bottles, glasses, and faucets. On Wednesday in class, Phoebe had a GENIUS IDEA! She said that once we make sure our filters work, we will make and sell the filters through our weebly. Then all proceeds made will go to the cancer and blood diseases program at the Children's Hospital of Los Angeles (CHLA). Charlotte gave us the idea that when we present at the forum, we should make it possible for community members pre-order filters, or help donate at the CHLA. We wanted to expand the awareness of benzene to communities near the Inglewood Oil Field because there is a possibility that they could have benzene in their water supply. Phoebe has started to create flyers, and we are hoping that we could give them out somewhere in Culver City. We have ordered benzene detectors, and we are hoping that they will arrive next week because our whole project is relying on these plastic tubes. If we get them, we hope to be in the create studio next week, so we can follow through with solving the problem of benzene exposure.