Success at last!
The past few weeks have been a bit of a struggle for our group because most of our project relied on our water filters and the benzene detectors. Since we have gotten all of our materials, our group has made great strides in implementing our solution. This week we have done some exciting things! Including getting our first comment/question on our blog, our pageviews had doubled from Wednesday to Thursday! Phoebe also brought some laundry detergent containing benzene (Tide) to class (many laundry detergents don’t contain pure benzene. Normally, it contains benzene in the form of alkylbenzene sulfonate), so we mixed it with water and decided to test the levels of benzene in it. We got some very positive results! Before we had put our laundry detergent mixture through our filter, the levels of benzene was 12 ppm (parts per million), and after we put the mixture through the filter, the levels of benzene lowered to 10 ppm. We immediately graphed our results, which you will soon be able to see in the Photos and Videos section on our weebly site. We hope that from here, our group will get more followers to our project, and could possibly help us spread awareness about benzene. There is so much that our group could do to move further, but unfortunately next week will be the last week that we have to work on this project. We have been so lucky to be able to get our views across, spreading awareness to people both in our school community, but in other communities as well. Even though the project will be over, we hope that people will still view our weebly page, recreate our filters, and become involved with spreading awareness about benzene.