Unfortunately, after this test we realized that there was little to no benzene in our laundry detergent mixture. We figured that this was because the ratio of water to detergent was too big. Stay tuned for our next testing pictures!
This was our second model. For this filter, we decided to not use fine sand, clean the rocks before we put them in the filter, and change the order of the materials. We ended up getting more water that came out at a quicker pace. It also made the water more transparent than the last filter.
Here, in order from left to right are all three 3D printed filter models, so far. The fourth 3D printed model is in the process of being created.
This is our third model. For this model we made sure that the dimensions were the same as on the faucet in the science lab at school. We also made sure that the thickness of the filter was at the right amount, so water would not be able to leak through the outside of the filter.;
This is our second model. It is waaayyy too big and also very thin and too flimsy. We immediately went back to our model on tinkercad and fixed the dimensions. Before we go to print the model, we are going to make sure that the wall of the filter is thick enough, so water will not be able to leak through it.
To the left is the very first filter model that we created. Halfway through the printing process, the printer malfunctioned, causing the process to stop, which left us with only the bottom half of the filter.
Our Very First plastic bottle Prototype
This is what the first water filter looked like. We first put a thin layer of cloth around the top of the bottle, tying it with a rubber band. Next fine sand was put at the bottom of the bottle. Then a layer of activated carbon. After we put course sand then rocks. We tested our product. The water ended up being very 'mucky' (see picture 3) . We concluded that our next model we would use less materials, the sand would not bge as close to the cloth, and we would use a thicker layer of cloth
Here are some of the materials that we bought for the inside of our filters. We got the coarse sand and gravel from the lab at school, we bought the activated carbon at Petco, and the decorative sand from Michaels.